Tuesday, February 7, 2012

First Attempt

How many times have you stared at an abstract painting and said to yourself, "I can totally paint that"?Maybe the only difference between some of these artists and ourselves is that we don't paint that.  I've seen my kids bring home paintings from preschool that, if done on a canvas, would likely be hanging over my mantle. So, I decided to put my theory to the test and splurged on some painting essentials- a few small canvases, some basic acrylic colors and a few quality brushes- all-in-all, about a $35 investment. Here's what $35 and some determination got me:


While the picture doesn't really do it any justice in terms of color or texture, it certainly is no masterpiece, but I think it's a good start. Mostly, I played around with color mixing and composition and was pleased with the original outcome, but the longer I looked at it, the more I realized it's basically just a rainbow! 

You're probably wondering how I found the time to paint- but the truth is, total home destruction was taking place while this painting was accomplished over the course of two days, but real artists are messy, right?

Here's to painting #2, and complete domestic chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment